Tips for Cleaning Wooden Floors
1. Sweep your wooden floors often using either a soft, fine bristle broom or a vacuum cleaner with a soft brush attachment to minimize the chances of scratching the wood.
2. Clean up wet spills immediately. Mop up with a soft towel and then dry thoroughly, this is particularly important if you have waxed floors.
3. Use a dry damp mop for polyurethaned wood floors because otherwise excess water can seep into seams and cause irreparable damage. Go over the floor once, then rinse the mop, wring it dry and go over the floor again. Double mopping is important as it first dislodges and then dissolves the dirt. For additional shine buff the floor completely dry with a towel. If the finish has been damaged it is best not to use water at all.
4. Make sure you use a suitable cleaning product. A solution of hot water and 1 capful of plain white vinegar or another low pH (acidic) cleaner is effective on epoxy or presealed. If you are using a commercial cleaner, check first that is suitable for wooden floors.
5. If your flooring has been waxed avoid cleaning products which contain or requires water.
6. It is a good idea to lay down rugs or carpet runners to prevent damage in high traffic areas.
7. Vacuum your rugs and runners often so dirt doesn't filter down through the weave and scratch the wood underneath.
8. It is best not to wear heavy shoes or high heels on hardwood floors as some heels can cause dents in the wood.
9. Never drag furniture or other objects across a wood floor. Instead, clean the floor thoroughly to remove dust and grit and then use ‘gliding’ pads to move the object.
10. Put floor mats at each entrance so you don't track dirt in on shoes, preferably all shoes should be removed.
11. Scratches and dents - follow manufacturer recommendations to treat damaged areas effectively.
12. If your floor has a waxed rather than varnished finish you can apply more wax polish to improve the colour of the wood. However, it is best not to do this too often and don’t use too much wax or you can end up ruining the effect. Wax build up can look dirty and if this happens you need to strip it back and start again. Use a cloth moistened with white spirit to lift off the old wax then wipe away the residue with crumpled newspaper. When this has been done, mop the floor and apply new wax.
13. Some floors may require periodic waxing and buffing. Get recommendations from the manufacturer for the specific procedures for your floor.
Moores Contract Cleaners is a cleaning company providing window cleaning and commercial cleaning in Birmingham, the Midlands and Warwickshire in the UK.
We will be regularly updating our cleaning tips so keep an eye out in the future! In the mean time, for more information and access to a great range of domestic and commercial cleaning services then why not visit http://www.moorescontractcleaners.co.uk/.
This is a guest posting from James Brack at Dreamscape design.