How to Clean anything with Vinegar
White Vinegar is an amazingly versatile alternative to many chemical cleaning products used in homes today.
What can you clean with vinegar? Almost everything! Besides keeping a jug of vinegar in your pantry, keep a spray bottle that’s 100% vinegar and one that’s 50/50 vinegar and water.
Note that we are talking about plain white vinegar only. White vinegar is pure, unadulterated and leaves no residue.
Of course you wouldn't try cleaning with apple cider or red wine vinegar because they'll leave a residue. Those are best for cooking and plain white vinegar is the type to use for cleaning.
Vinegar is super cheap, it’s easy to get, it’s already in most homes, and it’s safe for the environment and for your family.
Not just that- It's a great cleaner- make that the best cleaner for many things.
Mrs. Clean is a real house cleaning company. We're not just a random website providing cleaning advise. We have experience to back up what we say.
As a company, Mrs. Clean purchases hundreds of gallons of vinegar every year to clean our client's floors. It's the best cleaning agent to use on hard floors like laminated wood, ceramic tile, linoleum and vinyl floors. DON'T use it on stone surfaces like marble, travertine or granite, etc. because it'll damage stone.
As a company we can't mess around with using something just because it's cheap- It has to clean really well, because we'd be making our customers unhappy if it didn't.
The only downside to cleaning with vinegar is that, it smells, well.. vinegary. Don't worry about that, because the vinegary smell goes away as it dries. Because it is also a natural deodorizer, the air will smell fresher for using it too.
You're very smart to be searching for ways to clean and use vinegar. You've got a testimonial from someone who knows very well that this is a great cleaning product too.
Lets start cleaning!
Cleaning the Kitchen:
- Vinegar is a mild antibacterial and anti-fungal. It kills most molds and mildews.
- Vinegar is a natural deodorizer, so wipe the refrigerator out with it to keep it smelling fresh
- Use a mixture of vinegar and water to mop your kitchen floors with out a need to rinse.
- A bowl of 1/2 cup vinegar to 1 cup water brought to a boil in a microwave will loosen anything baked on the walls of the microwave and neutralize any smells that might be hanging around in there.
- To clean your coffee maker: Add one cup of warm water to the reservoir and then add 2 cups of white vinegar. Run the coffee maker through a brewing cycle. Throw out the cleaning solution and clean the coffee pot. Run clean water through the brewing cycle two more times to clean the vinegar out of the coffee maker.
- Run a bowl of ice cubes and 4 cups of vinegar in the garbage disposal to clean, remove grime and deodorize.
Cleaning the Floor:
- It’s great for cleaning ceramic and tile floors. 1 TBL vinegar to a gallon of water will make the ceramic and tile shine.
- Clean no-wax floors and hardwood floors with a mixture of 1 TBL of vinegar to one gallon of water.
- On hardwood floors use as little of the cleaning solution as possible sitting to prevent water spots. Damp mop and dry with a soft cloth.
As a Deodorizer:
- A bowl of vinegar kept in a room overnight will remove odors.
- A cup of vinegar in the sink or garbage disposal will eliminate odor.
- Rub hands with vinegar after chopping onions, garlic, or cutting up fish.
Super Strength Cleaning:
- Spraying vinegar on surfaces will keep ants away.
- To clean an electric shaver: mix 1 part vinegar to 10 parts of water. Clean the shaving head and the hair chamber (once you’ve unplugged the shaver) with the vinegar mix. It not only cleans the parts but deodorizes them as well.
- Is your iron clogged so that it’s not producing enough steam? Fill the water reservoir of the iron with white vinegar, plug it in, turn on the steam setting and put it on a cookie rack with a pan underneath to catch the vinegar. As the vinegar steams out it’ll clean the clogged steam pores.
- Spray it on shower curtains to kill mold and mildew
- Use full strength vinegar to clean soap scum in the bathtub and the shower tiles.
- The acidic properties of vinegar make it difficult for mold and mildew to grow in the shower.
Cleaning Glass and Mirrors:
- To remove stickers, moisten with vinegar, wait 10-15 minutes and remove.
- Use vinegar and water to clean windows (1 tablespoons per cup of water. Add a few drops of good liquid detergent.)
- For carpet stain removal: blot up as much liquid as possible. Spray with a mixture of half water and half white vinegar. Let stand for a couple of minutes and blot again.
- Vinegar will remove stains from the toilet. Pour in some vinegar, wait a few minutes and scrub.
- Many stains, including jelly, wine, and chocolate can be removed by rubbing with vinegar before washing.
- If fabric is not colorfast, soak it in vinegar before washing to set the dye.
That’s just some of the things that you can clean with vinegar.
There are many more. And there are many more ways you can combine vinegar with other ingredients like salt and detergent to make some great cleaning solutions. So stock up on vinegar and, as you use up your household chemicals, try this green alternative for household cleaning.