cleaning and maintaining marble table top

Expert and professional house cleaning and organizing tips. Questions and answers from professional cleaners.

cleaning and maintaining marble table top

Postby annie » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:49 pm

I just bought a new table with a marble top. I'm not certain what kind of sealant was used. It will be used daily for eating, drinking, etc. How do I best clean and protect the marble ? Hoping for a speedy reply so I can get started !
annie
Little Duster
Little Duster

Re: cleaning and maintaining marble table top

Postby mrscleannw » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:48 pm

Hello Annie,

Take Care with Marble:

First I’ll make note that you should never use vinegar to clean your marble table. Marble is basically made up of sea shells and any cleaning solution that contains acid will destroy it.

Although vinegar can be used for many cleaning jobs around the house, your marble tabletop is NOT one of them. The acid will get into and under any cracks in the nicely buffed and polished surface, eventually damaging the surface.

Second you will periodically need to reapply a sealant to the surface for optimal protection and to keep the surface looking good, every 6 to 12 months is recommended. This table can last you a lifetime with proper care.

Marble Care Tips:

Because marble is sensitive and very porous, only clean it with a neutral pH cleaning solution using a soft clean cloth. Wipe it dry to remove water spots.

Marble is delicate and requires some maintenance to look its best. Here are some basic care tips for cleaning marble:

Marble is a very soft stone and is also highly porous, so it is very easily etched and pitted by acids. (vinegar, tomato juice, lemon juice, orange juice, nail polish remover, etc) It's also prone to develop water stains or spots, such as marks left by drinking glasses (if the water is high in mineral content). Always wipe off any spills immediately as they happen.

Marble can be scratched and you probably don’t want that happening so you may want to use placemats and dollies (if you put fresh flowers on your tabletop). Use a soft cloth or sponge when wiping it off.

If you should get a stain on your marble surface there are specific cleaning products available for removing stains. If you are ever unsure, seek professional help.

Cleaning Marble:
Murphy’s Oil Soap:

To maintain your marble tabletop and keep it shining you can apply a solution of Murphy’s oil soap that has been heavily diluted with water. We use this in our business for cleaning marble, it works great.
Follow the package instructions for cleaning wood Only Use Twice the amount water. Murphy’s Oil Soap is PH neutral and there is no need to wipe it off your tabletop.

White Chalk and Water:

To give marble a quick shine, try crushing a child's stick of common white chalk into a fine powder. Dampen a clean white wash rag and dip it into the chalk powder. Rub it on the marble with smooth, overlapping back and forth strokes. Allow to dry for a moment, then rinse with fresh water on a damp cloth, and dry thoroughly.

Mrs. Clean
mrscleannw
Cleaning Queen
Cleaning Queen

Postby cleaningitright » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:37 am

wow Mrs. Clean, thank you for this awesome post. I was wondering the same thing myself. Thank you!
cleaningitright
Little Duster
Little Duster

Postby mold removal tampa » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:45 am

hello to all.... to take away stains, sprinkle salt on a fresh cut lemon.... rub very lightly over stain ... do not rub tough or you will ruin the polished surface .... wash off with soap and water ... there are many commercial polishes, some of which are flammable, are available for cleaning marble ...
mold removal tampa

Postby label factory » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:36 pm

now i know how to clean the marble table top..thanks a lot..
label factory
Little Duster
Little Duster

Return to House Cleaning Tips