Fish Oil and fish related smell

Expert and professional house cleaning and organizing tips. Questions and answers from professional cleaners.

Postby davidmke » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:28 am

Last week, a product I got to help with my dogs allergies spilled on my kitchen counter. The product is called "Dermapet EicosaDerm". The main ingredient in this product is fish oil.

Well, oil has permeated into an area around my sink and smells like fish under my sink.

Any ideas on what I can use to get rid of the smell?

Thanks.
Dave
davidmke
Little Duster
Little Duster

Postby mrscleannw » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:07 am

Hi davidmke,
Welcome to Mrs. Clean. We can help you out!

You did not mention the material used for your countertops. Is is formica, corian, granite or other? I am asking because it might make a difference as to which product we recommend to remove the fish oil smell.
mrscleannw
Cleaning Queen
Cleaning Queen

Postby davidmke » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:22 am

Dear Mrs. Clean - sorry about that. I didn't even think to put that type of top it is.

The top I have in my kitchen is formica. Near the sink, it smells slightly from the fish oil. Underneath the sink it smells worse.

Thanks for your help.

Dave
davidmke
Little Duster
Little Duster

Postby mrscleannw » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:44 pm

Hi Dave,
I did some research on the product, and you are right. It is 100% fish oil, which I assume has a terrible smell if it?s anything like the cod liver oil my Mother used to give me.

I could not tell from the manufacturer if this was a supplement you put in food, or if it intended to be used topically on your dogs which is why the oil is around your sink. Fish oil is good for human too, and maybe the product works well on the outside as well as the inside of your dog..

Once fish oil is exposed to oxygen, it begins to go rancid, and it only takes a few molecules for our nose to sense it.

The good news is we can most likely take care of the nasty smell, and with all natural products too.

First get a bucket with a gallon of warm water and put in about 1/2 cup of laundry detergent or dish washing liquid. With a clean rag, scrub down the entire area thoroughly making sure not to miss any cracks or crevasses. Use a clean dry cotton towel and dry the area to absorb any remaining wetness, which will also pick up any oil that had broken down in the detergent that is still on the countertops.

After the area is dry, wet a clean rag with a 50/50 mixture of plain white vinegar and water. Vinegar is slightly acidic and is a great natural deodorizer, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal. The vinegar smell dissipates quickly and it will help neutralize the fish oil smell. Let the liquid sit for about 15 minutes, (rewipe the area if needed) then wipe it dry. There is no need to rinse it off, as it is not harmful and it kills germs too.

If any smell remains the next day, you can try the plain white vinegar at 3/4 strength with 1/4 water, and also add 3/4 cup of baking soda for a more powerful punch. Baking soda is a very good deodorizer, but it also is slightly abrasive, so make sure not to scrub, as it could scratch the surface you are cleaning. Again let the solution sit for about 15 minutes, but this time you need to rinse it off as the baking soda will leave a white residue when it dries. (It?s not harmful, but it should be removed as it makes a mess)

This should do the trick, if by some chance you still smell the fish oil, (if it is in the cracks and crevasses), I?d fill a spray bottle with full strength white vinegar and periodically spray the area. The fish oil won?t stand a chance!

Good luck!
mrscleannw
Cleaning Queen
Cleaning Queen

Postby davidmke » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:27 pm

Dear Mrs. Clean - thank you very much for your response.

I don't suppose the Mrs. Clean territory extends to laundry as well?? :wink:

Thanks again.
Dave
davidmke
Little Duster
Little Duster

Postby 1stclasscleaning » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:12 am

hello,
If you put Oxy Clean in your washing machine with Laundry detergent the smell will come out. It is a great product for getting smells out. I have gotten Cat Urine smell out of my car and bathmat when my cat was sick. I swear by the stuff. I use in on the carpets, clothes, all over. There is a new product too that is Spray n' Wash with Oxy Clean in it. That works great for stains too. Love it!
1stclasscleaning
Super Sweeper
Super Sweeper

Re: Fish Oil and fish related smell

Postby mrscleannw » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:18 pm

I just learned of another 'non-toxic' tip for removing laundry odors. Try a mixture of vinegar and lemon to get the smell out of your laundry.

Add 1 cup of white vinegar and 1/2 cup of lemon juice to the wash during the rinse cycle. This works really well for deodorizing and removing any musty odors. I have used it on clothes that have been in the washer too long and it freshens them right up..
mrscleannw
Cleaning Queen
Cleaning Queen

Re: Fish Oil and fish related smell

Postby Crisp&Clean » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:59 am

Hi there...
I've learned so much since joining this forum...
I feel like I'm always on the run and I don't have much time to put some of this advice into action.

I have found a quick and easy way to get rid of any kind of household and car odor...this was actually on the Discovery
Channel. It's called What Odor? and it really works. I stumbled across this blog giveaway the other day...I can't believe how many people actually know about my little secret!!

Thanks...have a great day.
Crisp&Clean
Little Duster
Little Duster

Return to House Cleaning Tips