greasy built on food on stove top....help!!!

Expert and professional house cleaning and organizing tips. Questions and answers from professional cleaners.

greasy built on food on stove top....help!!!

Postby queenbee1970 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:46 pm

hello,

I am new to this forum but heard that my friends found many solutions to their problems so here is one of mine..I hope I can get the advice I need. I have burnt on food or something on my stove around the burners. I have tried everything to get it off. I don't want to scratch the stove top but nothing works...HELP..... any advise is very welcome.

Sincerely,

Helpless in Utah
queenbee1970
Little Duster
Little Duster

Re: greasy built on food on stove top....help!!!

Postby mrscleannw » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:19 pm

Hi queenbee1970,
Welcome to the Mrs. Clean Forum!
Yes, stove tops can be tricky to clean, as they often harbor greasy, sticky residue and dried on, burnt food. The key to removing these is to loosen the stains from the surface of the stove. It is important to keep in mind what kind of stove top you have, because some cleansers can damage certain surfaces, yet work great for others.

Try these tricks and your stove should look clean and shiny again:

• Vinegar is acidic and can be helpful in cutting grease. Dampen the stain with vinegar and let it sit for a few moments. Wipe off with a damp sponge. Do not use vinegar on natural stone, (like marble or granite) as it can damage them!
• Baking soda is alkaline and is helpful for so many stubborn stains. I use it all the time! It is good for scrubbing stains and is non-abrasive on most surfaces. Moisten the stained area with warm water and generously sprinkle baking soda on it. Use a non-scratch brush or scrubbing sponge (usually nylon) and vigorously scrub the baking soda into the stain. Let this moist mixture sit on the area for a few moments and then wipe off with warm water.
• Liquid dishwasher soap is also works for some stubborn stains, but keep in mind that it usually contains bleach. The same approach applies here: apply to the stained area, scrub, and rinse.
• Degreasers are also good for loosening these types of stains. You can try professional strength 409 or a similar spray degreaser. Just spray and wipe.
• The Magic Eraser from Mr. Clean is also quite helpful for stain removal.
• You may also want to try Spic and Span Powder. It contains soda ash, which is a good cleanser and is used in many types of detergents.

These tips should get your stove top back to looking its best.
Be sure to wear gloves and always rinse the cleanser residue well.
As always, test an inconspicuous area first.

Good luck, and let me know how it turns out!
Mrs. Clean
mrscleannw
Cleaning Queen
Cleaning Queen

Postby chocsoymilk » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:28 pm

Get a razor blade scraper to scrape the cooked food off before cleaning. I have a ceramic cooktop and it works BEAUTIFULLY. Also, I use the razor blade scraper on my solid surface countertop and basically anything else I from which I want to remove a layer of crusted crud.

If you have an enamel top stove, I would delicately try the razor blade scraper first as these are easier to scratch. But if you use a nice shallow angle, you should be fine.

You can get a razor blade scraper and blades for < $2. at Lowe's or Home Depot or any other home improvement store.
chocsoymilk
Little Duster
Little Duster

Postby abusymother » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:06 am

I have a gas range. For my stove top grates, I used the ammonia in a baggy method. You put your grates in a gallon size baggy and spray ammonia on them. Zip it up and let it set overnight and in the morning the black stuff just wipes off. It worked so great, I couldn't believe it. It was like magic! It's stinky, but my stove is spic and span.
abusymother
Little Duster
Little Duster

Postby DejaP » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:23 am

Hi there,

I have found the most incredible and inexpensive little thingy's for scraping off burnt stuff. Norwex Enviro Products makes them, and they're called spirinetts. They look like steel wool, but are made of little ribbons of stainless steel that don't rust and act like a bunch of little razors to scrape off even the oldest, and most burnt on stove food. These things work on old style burner stoves as well as smooth top stoves, but you MUST use them very wet on a smooth top or they will scratch it. I have an old style burner stove and I dreaded having to clean the metal rims - it seemed to be an all day affair - but with the spirinetts, the burnt stuff comes off with just water and a small amount of elbow grease. They come in a 2 pack for $4.99 (CAD) and are worth their weight in gold!

Deja
DejaP
Little Duster
Little Duster

Postby mickowitz » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:18 pm

:shock: OMG!! :shock:

When you have burnt-on gunk on any surface that can scratch - enamel on stovetops or cookware, stainless steel finishes, polished granite, formica, and even glass, DO NOT USE anything metal to clean them - not razors, or steel wool, or metal spatulas. Use a credit card to scrape them off! I read this somewhere years ago, it has consistently performed miracles when nothing else would work, and it has never scratched anything! Great way to recycle those worthless gift cards!

I hope that this will help others to get rid of gunk stains without putting the finish in peril.
mickowitz
Little Duster
Little Duster

Return to House Cleaning Tips