How do I clean the inside of glass shower doors?

How to remove inorganic stains. Inorganic stains come from material that is not from a living organism such as lime and mineral deposits, rust, soap scum, and stains from chemicals.

Postby Vavalagi » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:55 pm

I have tried 1/2 dozen products claiming to clean the inside of glass shower doors to no avail. I am so frustrated. :x I've now hired someone to do spring cleaning, but I don't know what to tell her about those darned doors. Can y'all help? Also, if and when they are actually clean...what is the best product to keep the water sheeting off of them and not staining them further? Thank you.
Vavalagi
Little Duster
Little Duster

Re: How do I clean the inside of glass shower doors?

Postby mrscleannw » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:32 pm

Welcome vavalagi,

So, I assume you are fighting a hard water stain, soap scum build-up, or water spots. The treatment depends on what is causing the problem. Here, I’ll address all three and remember, regular cleaning will help prevent build up.

Hard Water Stains
    Hard water stains are caused by excess minerals in the water and will adhere and etch glass causing permanent damage if left to sit too long.
    Straight vinegar; this is a mild acid and will help dissolve built-up minerals.
    Try using salt mixed with baby oil. If you mix salt with water you are dissolving the salt and this may not work as well.
    Try a heavy duty product such as CLR, follow manufacturer’s instructions.
Soap Scum
    Soap scum can be removed with a stronger acid such as Kaboom shower, tub and sink spray.
    Elbow grease used with detergent or a mild abrasive such as comet.
    Mr. Clean Magic Eraser dissolves and removes miscellaneous grim and works well on several other types of stains, just wet with water and scrub.
    Over time glass can become porous and soap scum can soak into the glass. So clean those glass shower doors on a fairly regular basis.
Water Spots
    Try a Bounce fabric softener. While your glass shower door is damp use one or two fabric softeners (and a little elbow grease) to scrub the glass then rinse off.
    Clorox makes a natural glass cleaner (Green Works) made with plant and mineral-based ingredients. Used with a microfiber cloth this will give you a nice streak-free shine.

Mrs. Clean
mrscleannw
Cleaning Queen
Cleaning Queen

Re: Damp Newspaper

Postby Oregon House » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:09 pm

For a spotless glass, get an old newspaper, crumple it and make it slightly damp. Wipe off the class like you would a rag. Presto! You get clear spotless shower glass doors.

Postby donrowlett » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:14 am

I had the same problem. Family Handyman magazine ran an article on how to deal with stubborn stains inside shower doors and they recommended Bring It On cleaner. I had to leave it on the glass for a few minutes to get it to work but it did dissolve the mineral stains.
donrowlett
Little Duster
Little Duster

Postby stharmon » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:58 pm

I had the same problem. So, I started using pure rubbing alcohol on the shower doors weekly.
The build up vanished!!!!!!!!!!!!!
stharmon
Little Duster
Little Duster

Postby mrscleannw » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:46 pm

Hello donrowlett and stharmon:

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, if you stay on top of cleaning regularly your bathroom will sparkle. There is nothing better than finding a good cleaning agent that works and that you like.

Mrs. Clean
mrscleannw
Cleaning Queen
Cleaning Queen

Postby cleanway » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:23 am

This should be made of glass? One serious advice is to use a newspaper as opposed to fabrics. It is very important to maintain them on a regular basis as it is more vulnerable to stains or tints being a shower glass. You could treat this more or less the same you would for windows.
cleanway
Super Sweeper
Super Sweeper

Postby V09 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:34 pm

No matter what you clean your shower door with, the best way to always keep it clean is by cleaning it after every use of the shower and not letting the water to leave stains on the glass. You wouldn't need any cleaning agents if you just use a soft dry cloth.
Or you could wipe down the doors with fabrix softener on a dump cloth and buff with a clean, dry cloth.
Another way to keep soap scum at bay is to wipe down the doors with lemon oil or baby oil.
V09
Little Duster
Little Duster

Postby greenj26 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:18 am

What products will work depends on the severity of the mineral build-up. Soap scum is easy to clean off, it;s the hard water stains that are more difficult. I would start with some CLR or Lime-Away (both contain hydrochloric acid, I believe). You could also use Bar-Keepers-Friend (which contains oxalic acid) Bar Keeper Friend is available at many grocery stores. Furthermore you can use an abrasive pad to help clean and remove the mineral build up --- HOWEVER only use a white abrasive pad. Any other color of abrasive pad could scratch the glass. White is the gentlest scouring pad. You can get them at most janitorial stores. One word of advice, if you are using an acidic product, wear rubber gloves and open up a window, put a fan on or something to help with the vapors. Myself, I always use a respirator when cleaning with vaporous products :D
greenj26
Super Sweeper
Super Sweeper

Re: do HowI clean the inside of glass shower doors?

Postby sps_lokesh » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:58 pm

I was told by a lady that gets houses ready to put on the market that the best thing for shower doors is muratic acid. Mix 1 part mur acid with 10 parts water. Apply to doors and clean. Says it works miracles!.We have a natural stone shower and floor and none of these products can be used without etching or pitting the surface of the stone. We also use Minnwax on the shower doors before an owner takes possession of their home.
sps_lokesh
Little Duster
Little Duster

Postby Dmitriy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:30 am

I make a scrubber out of crocheted strips of nylon netting and use a good soap scum remover. Takes the combination to get the job done. Cleaners wanted to use the 3M green pot scrubbers, but I felt that they were too liable to scratch the surface. I do wonder if the softer scrubbers meant for Teflon pots and pans would work as well as my hand made scrubbers.
Dmitriy
Little Duster
Little Duster

Postby mark44 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:48 pm

I just use a regular cellulose sponge with some water and comet. Cleans everything off and doesn't scratch
mark44
Little Duster
Little Duster

Postby eclothUSA » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:02 pm

V09 wrote:No matter what you clean your shower door with, the best way to always keep it clean is by cleaning it after every use of the shower and not letting the water to leave stains on the glass. You wouldn't need any cleaning agents if you just use a soft dry cloth.
Or you could wipe down the doors with fabrix softener on a dump cloth and buff with a clean, dry cloth.
Another way to keep soap scum at bay is to wipe down the doors with lemon oil or baby oil.

I totally agree! We've got extremely hard water and within a week of putting in a new shower with glass doors, I could see the buildup on the doors. I keep a microfiber cloth (ecloth, of course!) in my shower and just give the whole thing - including the doors - a quick wipe after every shower. Since I'm the only one in the house who does this, it gets done about once every 4 showers but has kept the soap scum and hard water stains at bay.

Kate
eclothUSA
Little Duster
Little Duster

Return to Removing Other Stains