How to clean this pack rats room?

Expert and professional house cleaning and organizing tips. Questions and answers from professional cleaners.

How to clean this pack rats room?

Postby SaintBurger » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:07 pm

ImageImageImage
As you can see, I have a big problem here... All of these clothes are my father's and he will not let them go. I have tried to convince him to go to goodwill multiple times and he is stubborn. A regular packrat, if I cannot have him part with them I'd at least like to get this room somewhat clean. Problem is I don't know where to even start.... I don't know where to store the clothes or what to do, any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated
SaintBurger
Little Duster
Little Duster

Re: How to clean this pack rats room?

Postby mrscleannw » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:03 pm

Hello SaintBurger. Welcome.

You do have a big job ahead of you. We have several helpful articles written on decluttering and going through large piles of stuff like yours, hopefully these will help you out. I would hope your father will give you a hand when it comes time to cleaning his room.

Here are a few articles you can take a look at that might help you purge and cleaning up the clutter:

http://www.housecleaningcentral.com/en/ ... utter.html

Good Luck!
Mrs. Clean
mrscleannw
Cleaning Queen
Cleaning Queen

Postby jgalves » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:50 pm

I operate a family owned cleaning/organizing business in Anchorage. When I see piles of clothes everywhere my first instinct is to hang them up, box them up or donate them. I understand that he is holding on to his clothes because they're his and he is a pack rat... Have him realize that if he doesn't wear them regularly than they should be in a box or donated. Good luck with this!
Last edited by jgalves on Wed May 16, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jgalves
Little Duster
Little Duster

Postby cleanxcleansupplies » Tue May 08, 2012 7:14 pm

Whoa! that is what I call messy. Well, i guess,, what you PRIMARILY need to have is motivation to clean the room. I know it can be truly tiring but, you can do it!
Set up the mood. You need to have good music whilst doing the chore, that way, you won't be bored, and tell you this, you will feel even more energize.
prepare the things that you will be needing for the task and then Viola! you are on the go! And soon you will be surprised that you had finished the job faster than what you had expected.
Good luck!
cleanxcleansupplies
Little Duster
Little Duster

Postby domesticated83 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:11 am

I have to agree with Mrs. Clean in that the first step is to pick up and declutter. And I also have to agree with jgalves in that he may have an issue with letting go of his clothes. If the issue is that he does not put clothes in their proper places (dirty clothes basket, drawers, closets) then he has to get organized by adding these steps into a normal routine. If he does not go through the motions of putting clothes away, then it is a continous cycle.

If it is because he can not let go, then the issue is deeper than feeling a bit lazy and will take loving intervention to assist him in getting better.

On a side personal note, I find it wrong that he does not put the care and consideration into his room but require that you "some how" clean it for him and this would prove tiring in the long haul because it would continue to happen. I personally would not eat/drink something and leave the dishes on the table because the other person is "responsible" for the cleaning. I do the laundry in my household because I have a lot of different little things I do with it, so instead of "requiring" my boyfriend to do it, I do it. But because I do it, I don't believe my boyfriend should be able to throw clothes on the floor, leave things in his pockets, or to demand "how" I should fold his pants. :!:

If you do not mind picking up after him then the first step would be to pick up, declutter and start the laundry with dirty clothes. But no matter the reason, the first step would be to determine the reasoning behind the clutter issue, that way you can figure out what step you wish to take next. Communication is vital. 8)
domesticated83
Super Sweeper
Super Sweeper

Postby mrscleannw » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:30 am

Thanks for such a great post domesticated83! :)
mrscleannw
Cleaning Queen
Cleaning Queen

Return to House Cleaning Tips