Mechanics Clothing...

How to remove inorganic stains. Inorganic stains come from material that is not from a living organism such as lime and mineral deposits, rust, soap scum, and stains from chemicals.

Mechanics Clothing...

Postby MDL3985 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:40 pm

Hi everyone, i'm new here. I am so lost, I don't even know if this is the right forum for this question....but any and all suggestions are very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My husband is a mechanic and his uniforms are ALWAYS coming home with stains from grease, motor oil and brake dust. I have an HE washer, so i'm always afraid of using products that don't specifically state HE on them. The only things I have been using are regular HE liquid detergent, Color-safe Bleach and a liquid fabric softner. I am just so lost at what else I can use to take the stains and other stuff out of his clothing. Especially with the new fall/winter uniforms coming around the corner. An old friend of mine suggested some sort of Oil that takes it out, but I can't recall what exactly it was. Please, any ideas? :shock:
MDL3985
Little Duster
Little Duster

Re: Mechanics Clothing...

Postby mrscleannw » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:43 pm

Hi MDL3985,
Welcome to Mrs. Clean’s Forum!
There are several ways to remove greasy stains from clothing. Try these simple tips and your clothes should look great again.

Generously apply cornstarch to the soiled area. Allow it to sit on the stain for a few minutes and then brush it off. This will help to pull up any oil or grease.
Dawn dish liquid is very good for removing oil and grease. Simply apply several drops to the stain and blot or scrub the stain with a clean cloth or laundry brush. Let it sit for a few moments, and rinse well. Next, wash according to the garment’s laundering instructions.
You may need to repeat the process until the stains are gone.

You can also try Goop hand cleaner, which is specifically formulated for mechanics to use. There are directions listed here http://goophandcleaner.com/

Good Luck and let me know how it turns out!
Mrs. Clean
mrscleannw
Cleaning Queen
Cleaning Queen

Return to Removing Other Stains