Newbie In Need Of Help Getting Home Clean and Organized

Professional organizing tips. Advice from Mrs Clean on how to organize your home easily and quickly.

Newbie In Need Of Help Getting Home Clean and Organized

Postby RuthP » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:24 pm

Hi my name is Ruth and I need help in figuring out how to get my house cleaned and organized while keeping rooms that I've already gotten done clean.

You see, I am 43 and it is just my husband, myself, and our four dogs. I have been ill for the last few years with heart problems and diabetis. Unfortunately, our home now looks like something you would see on one of those shows on TV. My husband works 40-48 hours a week, he has tried to help me clean our home, but most of the time he is too tired.

I'm getting back to where I can clean my house again (I do not work outside of the home), but I am finding it difficult to a) figure out where to start and b) how to keep the rooms that I've already cleaned clean while getting the other rooms done. I have to take my time cleaning as I do have diabetic neuropathy in my legs. I do not have anyone that I can ask for help with the cleaning, and we are barely making ends meet finacially so I cannot hire anyone.

Can someone here please give me some ideas on how to get myself organized so that I can get my home looking decent enough that I can feel proud to have company come over?

I am also trying to get a business started from my home which does take some time as well.

Thank you in advance.
RuthP
Little Duster
Little Duster

Getting organized

Postby mrscleannw » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:39 pm

Hi Ruth, Welcome to Mrs. Clean.

I can sure help you get organized! It is very hard to get organized dealing with family, pets, health and other issues.

The following cleaning tips pages will help you get started. Look under "organization" on the right hand side and pick which ever area you wish to tackle.

I recommend you start with the page Organizing Your Home. It's is a great way to get started with a plan.

I find the first step is to de-clutter so that you have a much easier time of keeping things clean. There are also tips on office/home office organization. The biggest step is to get a plan and get started!

Good Luck Ruth!
Mrs Clean
mrscleannw
Cleaning Queen
Cleaning Queen

Postby JeannaLW » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:20 pm

I know how overwhelming it can be to get started. Lists of things that need to be done and tips on how to do it are very helpful, but they don't really provide motivation. You end up putting it off and off, then you take a day (or more) to clean, scrub till your skin just about falls off then crash and burn! Then it just builds back up again.

If this sounds like you, check out www.flylady.net for the solution (free). She can be used hand-in-hand with mrsclean's excellent help and tips to get your house clean and keep it that way, in just 15 minutes a day. Really! She's helped me (and I'm not in any way directly affiliated, just found that it was what I needed to get my house under control and hope to do the same for you).

The basic premise behind FlyLady is that your house didn't get cluttered or messy or dirty in a day and won't get clean in one either -- and if it does, it won't STAY that way. Baby steps help build habits and routines that keep your house looking great all the time -- but you have to stick to the baby steps and not try to clean it all up at once, only to crash because you are sick and tired of cleaning! She sends daily emails to remind us to do small tasks like cleaning our sink, wiping down the bathroom, and decluttering for 15 minutes.

Anyway, I'm sounding like a commercial, and I don't mean to -- I'm just amazed at the difference it made for me and hope it will make a similar change in your life.
JeannaLW
Little Duster
Little Duster

Postby lolitad » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:24 am

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and I need some help.
I'm remodeling my house and the team that worked until now is really lazy..it passed almost one year and they are doing now the flooring and ask me to buy different thinks and I buy them because I don't know if they are good or not..
Now they ask me if they should put cork in the bathroom.. my husband (he is on the sea for 3 months so I can not talk to him right now) told me to put extra polyurethane coats in the bath because it deadens the sound of heavy feet and it's warm... so what should I do? listen my husband or the "experts"?
please advice me
Thanks
lolitad
Little Duster
Little Duster

Postby CleanMachine » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:26 am

RuthP,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, it sounds like you are stretched pretty thin. My advice to you is to start small. Dedicate 30 minutes per day to cleaning/organizing and focus on a small area where you can see an impact.

Stick to the 30 minutes everyday (or at least during the week), and make sure you attack an area that you can see a difference in. That way you will feel like you're making progress (you will be).

Whenever I try to get re-organized I always have to remind myself its okay to throw things away, it frees up a lot of room.

Good luck!
CleanMachine
Super Sweeper
Super Sweeper

Postby CleanMachine » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:33 am

One more thing, don't try to take on too much all at once. It sounds like you have a lot of work lined up. Its alright to take your time, especially in your case. You'll get it done...remember PERSEVERANCE!!
CleanMachine
Super Sweeper
Super Sweeper

Return to Home Organizing