Oily skin is staining bed sheets.

Professional stain removal tips. Removing stains caused by vegetable, fruit or of human or animal origin.

Oily skin is staining bed sheets.

Postby grnhsgrl » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:44 pm

My husband has very oily skin and almost always sleeps with his shirt off. This has created major stains on our bed sheets. I've tried soaking them in white vinegar before laundering, but it hasn't worked. How do I get them out and/or keep them from coming back?
grnhsgrl
Little Duster
Little Duster

oily skin and stains

Postby mrscleannw » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:51 am

Hello grnhsgrl and welcome to Mrs. Clean's Forum!

This is a common problem that we can help you with.
You would treat these stains the same way as perspiration stains or grease stains. There are so many great liquid laundry detergents on the market today that specialize in treating tough protein/grease stains. The first step is to use liquid laundry detergent with oxygenated powers and mixed it with washing soda or baking soda. (Washing soda is more powerful than baking soda, so washing soda is preferred). The washing soda super powers the laundry detergent and makes it more effective. Treat the affected area with the mixture and let sit for 30 minutes. Launder as usual and air dry.
You can also try dishwashing liquid (such as Dawn) and use it as directed above except when you launder the sheets, (especially when you have a whole load of them) add 1/4 of a cup of Dawn to the wash with 1/4 of a cup of Simple Green.
Also, if the oil stain is a bit dark (or your husband works as a mechanic/construction worker) you may want to try "goop". This is a hand cleaner made specially for removing grease from hands and clothes. Rub it directly on the stains and launder as usual.

If you do not have success with these methods, there are other ideas for removing grease stains.

The other question you had on keeping the stains from coming back is very difficult. The only sure bet is to have your husband wear pajamas. When people sleep, they loose dead skin as it will rub or flake off with the tossing and turning. Also, men tend to get warmer and will sweat (usually more than females.) This will leave a "grease looking" stain. The only way to limit the severity of the stain is to have your husband shower before bed every night and change your sheets every 3 days. Other than that you will have to find a method that works more on the removal end versus the preventative.
Good Luck and let me know what works best!
Mrs. Clean NW
mrscleannw
Cleaning Queen
Cleaning Queen

Re: Oily skin is staining bed sheets.

Postby sannyllyn3 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:10 am

Would this apply to pets as well? I have a 100% cotton bedspread that our cat lays on and the area she occupies has left behind an oily stained appearance on the fabric.
sannyllyn3
Little Duster
Little Duster

Postby msticalprincess » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:23 pm

CLOROX BLEACH!

I have tried EVERYTHING...and on a trip to see my dad for father's day, I spent the night and noticed he had the same issue. He did laundry that day and the stains were gone. I asked him what he used and told me he uses Clorox. Tried it at home (even with our light blue sheets) and OMG!!! They stains went from greenish tone (because the oil had turned them green) back to blue!!!!! I thought I was seeing a miracle happen! I just recently bought new sheets and just got them white so I can throw plenty of bleach in when I wash them.
msticalprincess
Little Duster
Little Duster

Postby mrscleannw » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:11 pm

Thanks for the tip, msticalprincess!
mrscleannw
Cleaning Queen
Cleaning Queen

Return to Organic Stain Removal